DAR – Madonna of the Trail Monument

Madonna of the Trail in Bethesda, MarylandThis is one of 12 Madonna of the Trail Monuments commissioned by the NSDAR (National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution) and dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women. These monuments are located along the National Old Trails Highway.

The following is carved into the monument: “This, the first military road in America beginning at Rock Creek and Potomac River, Georgetown, Maryland leading our pioneers across this continent to the Pacific.” The intersection of Rock Creek and the Potomac River is still in Georgetown, but Georgetown is now part of Washington DC.

Madonna of the Trails with Bethesda Post Office in the background.Also carved into the monument: “Over this highway marched the army of Major General Edward Braddock April 14, 1755 on its way to Fort Duquesne.” Fort Duquesne was located in what is now Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers join to form the Ohio River. Bricks in Point State Park mark the former location of Fort Duquesne.

The Madonna of the Trail Monument in Bethesda, Maryland was originally dedicated in 1929 and was rededicated in 1986.

More information is available about the 12 monuments in the Wikipedia article Madonna of the Trail.

This monument is located next to the Bethesda Post Office at 7400 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814. Click Here for Google Map.

Closest Metro Station: The Bethesda Metro Station on the Red Line is nearest to the Madonna of the Trail Monument.

Leave a Reply

StationStart.com